Making resources available to help you in your spiritual walk.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Psalm 25:1-22
A Psalm of David.


To Thee, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
[2] O my God, in Thee I trust,
Do not let me be ashamed;
Do not let my enemies exult over me.
[3] Indeed, none of those who wait for Thee will be ashamed;
Those who deal treacherously without cause will be ashamed.

[4] Make me know Thy ways, O Lord;
Teach me Thy paths.
[5] Lead me in Thy truth and teach me,
For Thou art the God of my salvation;
For Thee I wait all the day.
[6] Remember, O Lord, Thy compassion and Thy lovingkindnesses,
For they have been from of old.
[7] Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
According to Thy lovingkindness remember Thou me,
For Thy goodness' sake, O Lord.

[8] Good and upright is the Lord;
Therefore He instructs sinners in the way.
[9] He leads the humble in justice,
And He teaches the humble His way.
[10] All the paths of the Lord are lovingkindness and truth
To those who keep His covenant and His testimonies.
[11] For Thy name's sake, O Lord,
Pardon my iniquity, for it is great.

[12] Who is the man who fears the Lord?
He will instruct him in the way he should choose.
[13] His soul will abide in prosperity,
And his descendants will inherit the land.
[14] The secret of the Lord is for those who fear Him,
And He will make them know His covenant.
[15] My eyes are continually toward the Lord,
For He will pluck my feet out of the net.

[16] Turn to me and be gracious to me,
For I am lonely and afflicted.
[17] The troubles of my heart are enlarged;
Bring me out of my distresses.
[18] Look upon my affliction and my trouble,
And forgive all my sins.
[19] Look upon my enemies, for they are many;
And they hate me with violent hatred.
[20] Guard my soul and deliver me;
Do not let me be ashamed, for I take refuge in Thee.
[21] Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,
For I wait for Thee.
[22] Redeem Israel, O God,
Out of all his troubles.


Psalm 25:1-22

Open It

1. When have you felt that you were treated unfairly?
2. How would you complete the sentence: “It’s not fair that . . .”?
* 3. What troubles go with your station in life (parenting, singleness, student, overworking, empty-nester, etc.)?

Explore It

4. What prayer request opens this psalm? (25:1-3)
5. What is the central focus of this psalm? (25:1-22)
6. Whom did David want God to “put to shame”? (25:3)
7. How did David feel about the hostility of his enemies? (25:3)
8. What did David ask the Lord to reveal to him and why? (25:4-5)
* 9. What requests did David present to the Lord? (25:4-7, 16-22)
10. What did David want God to remember, and what did he want God to forget? (25:6-7)
11. How did David want to be remembered by the Lord? (25:7)
12. What does God do for sinners? (25:8)
13. How does this psalm describe the Lord and the kind of relationship He wants to have with us? (25:8-10)
14. Where did David place his confidence and why? (25:8-15)
15. What attitude did David have about himself and God? (25:11)
* 16. Why was David praying? (25:16-19)
* 17. What did David desire? (25:21-22)
18. What prayer concludes this psalm? (25:22)
19. What did David ask God to do? (25:22)

Get It

20. How can good come from being unfairly treated?
21. How do you think Christians should respond to unfair treatment?
22. How can we follow David’s example of trusting God?
* 23. What trouble and “enemies” do you face?
* 24. In light of this psalm, how should we deal with the pressures and problems in our lives?
25. In light of this psalm, how can you deal with the pressures and problems in your life?
26. What does this passage tell you about the relationship God wants to have with you?
27. How do you think you could strengthen your relationship with the Lord?
28. What motivates you to put your confidence in God?
29. How has God proven His reliability to you?
30. How does this passage change your perception of yourself? of God?

Apply It

31. What requests would you like to present before the Lord today?
32. In what specific ways can you put your hope and trust in the Lord?
* 33. In what way might you be able to demonstrate your trust in God in a troublesome circumstance this week?

AFFIRMATIONS

TODAY I AM ...

Lifting up my soul unto the LORD
Not ashamed before my enemies
Shown by God his ways, taught by him his paths
Led by God in his truth, waiting on him
Having all my sins forgiven and forgotten
Blessed with seed inheriting the earth
Fearing the LORD, and being taught his covenant
Delivered of all my distresses With my eyes ever toward God, my feet plucked from