Making resources available to help you in your spiritual walk.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Psalm 23:1-6
A Psalm of David.

The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
[2] He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
[3] He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.

[4] Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil; for Thou art with me;
Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
[5] Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
Thou hast anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
[6] Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


Psalm 23:1-6

Open It

1. What sometimes threatens your peace of mind or sense of security?
2. What do people usually take for granted?
* 3. When do you most want peace and quiet?

Explore It

4. How did David describe the Lord? (23:1)
5. What is God like? (23:1)
6. What mental picture did David use to describe his role in relationship with the Lord? (23:1-3)
* 7. What comforted David? (23:1)
8. How does the Lord provide for His people? (23:1-3)
9. How did God help David? (23:1-3)
10. What motivates God to guide His people? (23:3)
11. What gave David the confidence to face death? (23:4)
12. How was David comforted in difficult times? (23:4)
13. What were David’s fears? (23:4-5)
* 14. How far does the guidance and protection of the Lord extend for His people? (23:4-5)
15. How does God provide for His children, even in the face of death? (23:4-5)
16. How does God honor those He loves? (23:5-6)
* 17. What did the Lord give to David? (23:5-6)
18. How did David feel about his future? (23:6)

Get It

19. How has the Lord guided you through difficult times?
20. What do you think David meant when he said that his cup overflowed?
21. David spoke of a shepherd and sheep—how would you picture your relationship with the Lord?
22. In what ways does God “restore our souls”?
23. What are some of your fears?
* 24. How can you follow David’s example in dealing with your fears?
25. How has God provided for your needs in the past?
26. How have you experienced God’s comfort?
27. In what way has God made your “cup overflow”?
28. What good things in life do you find it easy to take for granted?
29. How can we thank the Lord for the many blessings He has given us?
* 30. How does this passage encourage you to face the future?
31. How has this psalm changed your perspective of the challenges you are facing?

Apply It

* 32. What can you do to celebrate God’s goodness and provision?
33. How could you comfort or encourage a friend who is struggling with fear or grief?
34. What good things, experiences, and people do you want to thank God for now?

TODAY I AM ...

Blessed with a Shepherd who takes care of my needs
Being made to lie down in green pastures
Being led beside still waters
Being restored in my soul
Being led in the paths of righteousness
Not afraid
Comforted by God’s presence, rod and staff
With God who prepares a table for me in the presence of my enemies
Having God anoint my head with an abundance of oil
Blessed with goodness and mercy: they shall follow me all the days of my life
Assured that I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever