Making resources available to help you in your spiritual walk.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Psalm 28:1-9
A Psalm of David.

To Thee, O Lord, I call;
My rock, do not be deaf to me,
Lest, if Thou be silent to me,
I become like those who go down to the pit.
[2] Hear the voice of my supplications when I cry to Thee for help,
When I lift up my hands toward Thy holy sanctuary.
[3] Do not drag me away with the wicked
And with those who work iniquity;
Who speak peace with their neighbors,
While evil is in their hearts.
[4] Requite them according to their work and according to the evil of their practices;
Requite them according to the deeds of their hands;
Repay them their recompense.
[5] Because they do not regard the works of the Lord
Nor the deeds of His hands,
He will tear them down and not build them up.

[6] Blessed be the Lord,
Because He has heard the voice of my supplication.
[7] The Lord is my strength and my shield;
My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped;
Therefore my heart exults,
And with my song I shall thank Him.
[8] The Lord is their strength,
And He is a saving defense to His anointed.
[9] Save Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance;
Be their shepherd also, and carry them forever.


Psalm 28:1-9

Open It

* 1. What is a hypocritical politician? Teacher? Journalist? Christian?
2. Under what circumstances is it easy to be hypocritical?
3. What hypocrisy do you see in the world today?

Explore It

4. What image did David use to refer to death and the grave? (28:1)
5. What did David believe would happen if the Lord did not answer his prayer? (28:1)
6. How did David refer to the Lord? (28:1, 7-9)
7. What is the main focus of David’s prayer in this psalm? (28:1-9)
8. What physical act of worship did David combine with his prayers? (28:2)
9. How did David tangibly demonstrate his worship to the Lord? (28:2, 7)
* 10. What hypocrisy did David see in the people around him? (28:3)
11. What request did David present to the Lord in this psalm? (28:3-5)
* 12. How are the wicked described? (28:3-5)
13. How did David want the Lord to deal with the wicked? (28:4)
14. What reason did David have to believe that the Lord would destroy the wicked? (28:5)
15. What motivated David to praise the Lord? (28:6-8)
16. What kind of relationship did David have with the Lord? (28:7-8)
* 17. What kind of relationship does God desire to have with His people? (28:8-9)

Get It

18. How does God view hypocrisy?
19. Why should we worship the Lord?
20. What motivates you to praise God?
21. How can you demonstrate your desire to worship the Lord?
22. How do you want to improve your relationship with God?
23. What kind of relationship should we have with our neighbors?
24. What hard feelings against another person do you struggle with?
* 25. If a Christian harbors malice toward another person, what should he or she do about it?
* 26. How can Christians guard against hypocrisy?

Apply It

27. What concrete action can you take this week to strengthen your relationship with God?
28. What injustice or difficult circumstance do you want to commit to the Lord in prayer?
* 29. What specific step can you take this week to guard against hypocrisy in your behavior at work? at home?

AFFIRMATIONS

TODAY I AM ...

Blessed with the voice of my supplications heard by God.
Regarding the works of the LORD, and the operations of his hands.
Helped and trusting in the LORD, my strength and shield.
Rejoicing greatly singing praises to God.
Blessed, fed and lifted up for ever.