Making resources available to help you in your spiritual walk.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Psalm 17:1-15
A Prayer of David.

Hear a just cause, O Lord, give heed to my cry;
Give ear to my prayer, which is not from deceitful lips.
[2] Let my judgment come forth from Thy presence;
Let Thine eyes look with equity.
[3] Thou hast tried my heart;
Thou hast visited me by night;
Thou hast tested me and dost find nothing;
I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress.
[4] As for the deeds of men, by the word of Thy lips
I have kept from the paths of the violent.
[5] My steps have held fast to Thy paths.
My feet have not slipped.

[6] I have called upon Thee, for Thou wilt answer me, O God;
Incline Thine ear to me, hear my speech.
[7] Wondrously show Thy lovingkindness,
O Savior of those who take refuge at Thy right hand
From those who rise up against them.
[8] Keep me as the apple of the eye;
Hide me in the shadow of Thy wings,
[9] From the wicked who despoil me,
My deadly enemies, who surround me.
[10] They have closed their unfeeling heart;
With their mouth they speak proudly.
[11] They have now surrounded us in our steps;
They set their eyes to cast us down to the ground.
[12] He is like a lion that is eager to tear,
And as a young lion lurking in hiding places.

[13] Arise, O Lord, confront him, bring him low;
Deliver my soul from the wicked with Thy sword,
[14] From men with Thy hand, O Lord,
From men of the world, whose portion is in this life;
And whose belly Thou dost fill with Thy treasure;
They are satisfied with children,
And leave their abundance to their babes.
[15] As for me, I shall behold Thy face in righteousness;
I will be satisfied with Thy likeness when I awake.

Psalm 17 - Psalm 17:1-15

Open It

1. What resolutions do people often make at the beginning of a new year?
2. What resolutions have you successfully kept?
* 3. What do you think prevents people from keeping New Years resolutions?

Explore

4. To which of the Lord’s roles did the psalm writer appeal? (17:1-3)
* 5. How did David want to be treated by the Lord? (17:1-3)
6. What claims did David make about his own character? (17:1-5)
7. What resolution did David make about his behavior? (17:3)
* 8. To what standard did David hold himself accountable? (17:4-5)
9. What motivated David to trust in the Lord? (17:6)
10. What request did David present before the Lord in this prayer? (17:6-9)
11. How does God show His great love toward His people? (17:7)
12. What mental pictures did David use to describe God’s protection over him? (17:8)
13. What accusations did David make against his adversaries? (17:10-12)
14. What image did David use to describe his enemies? (17:12)
* 15. What specific action did David ask the Lord to take on his behalf? (17:13-14)
16. How were the motivations and goals of David’s enemies different from his own? (17:14)
17. How does God provide for those He loves? (17:14-15)
18. With what sentiments did David conclude his prayer? (17:14-15)

Get It

19. What does this psalm teach us about prayer?
20. What action has the Lord taken in your behalf?
21. What picture or image would you use to describe what the Lord has done for you?
22. How did David keep himself pure despite pressure from those around him?
23. What steps can Christians take to withstand the temptations of the world?
24. What temptations do you think present the strongest challenge to Christians today?
* 25. What is one adversary or conflict that you face?
* 26. What resolutions would you like to make about your own attitudes and actions?
27. How do you need to handle the challenges in your life?
28. How does David’s conclusion of this psalm encourage you?

Apply It

29. What step could you take today to guard against the temptations that threaten your purity?
* 30. What step can you take this week to trust the Lord with one conflict or problem?
31. How could you remind yourself that one day you will be completely satisfied in God’s presence?


Psalm 17
AFFIRMATIONS
TODAY I AM ...

Having my heart tried.

Receiving a visitation by night.

Tested and nothing is found.

Purposing that my mouth will not transgress.

Being kept from the paths of the violent.

Having my steps held fast to Thy paths and my feet from slipping.

Calling up the Lord and He will answer me.

Being shown His lovingkindness.

Being kept as the apple of His eye.

Being hid in the shadow of His wings.

Am beholding Your face in righteousness.

Am being satisfied with His likeness when I awake.