Making resources available to help you in your spiritual walk.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Psalm 6:1-10

For the choir director; with stringed instruments, upon an eight-stringed lyre.
A Psalm of David.

O Lord, do not rebuke me in Thine anger,
Nor chasten me in Thy wrath.

[2] Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am pining away;
Heal me, O Lord, for my bones are dismayed.

[3] And my soul is greatly dismayed;
But Thou, O Lord-- how long?

[4] Return, O Lord, rescue my soul;
Save me because of Thy lovingkindness.

[5] For there is no mention of Thee in death;
In Sheol who will give Thee thanks?

[6] I am weary with my sighing;
Every night I make my bed swim,
I dissolve my couch with my tears.

[7] My eye has wasted away with grief;
It has become old because of all my adversaries.

[8] Depart from me, all you who do iniquity,
For the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping.

[9] The Lord has heard my supplication,
The Lord receives my prayer.

[10] All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly dismayed;
They shall turn back, they shall suddenly be ashamed.

Psalm 6 - Psalm 6:1-10

Open It

1. What emotions do you feel when you are sick with the flu?
* 2. How do most people deal with sickness?
3. When have you felt the Lord’s presence during a time of illness or sorrow?

Explore It

4. What request opens this psalm? (6:1)
5. What did the psalm writer think was the reason for his illness? (6:1)
6. How does the psalm writer’s response to his crisis unify this poem? (6:1-10)
* 7. What feelings did the psalm writer have? (6:1-10)
8. Why did the psalm writer believe that the Lord would be willing to save him? (6:4)
* 9. What motivated the psalm writer to ask the Lord for mercy? (6:5)
10. What did the psalm writer believe would happen to him if the Lord did not show him mercy? (6:5)
11. According to the psalm writer, what would God forfeit if He were not merciful? (6:5)
12. How depressed was the psalm writer? (6:6-7)
13. What encouraged the psalm writer? (6:8-9)
14. How is the psalm writer protected from his enemies? (6:8)
15. What expression of confidence concludes this prayer? (6:8-10)
* 16. What is the Lord’s response to the psalm writer’s cries for mercy? (6:9)
17. How would the psalm writer’s enemies react to his restoration? (6:10)

Get It

18. When have you ever felt like the writer of this psalm?
19. How do you usually deal with feelings of fear, sadness, or depression?
20. What motivates you to cry out to the Lord?
* 21. How do you think the Lord wants you to deal with life’s difficulties?
22. In what specific ways should we follow the psalm writer’s example?
23. What does this poem reveal about the psalm writer’s relationship with the Lord?
24. How would you like your relationship with God to be similar to the psalm writer’s?
25. How would you describe the psalm writer’s prayer in this passage?
* 26. What does this psalm teach us about prayer?
27. What does this psalm teach us about dealing with depression?
28. How has the Lord shown His love for you?
29. What gift of praise can you offer the Lord?

Apply It

30. What feelings or problems do you want to trust the Lord with today?
* 31. What steps could you take to spend more time telling God your honest thoughts or feelings?
32. How can you demonstrate your thankfulness to the Lord for His love for you?




TODAY I AM


Healed by the LORD
Saved because of God’s lovingkindness
Thanking God publicly
With enemies that are dismayed