Making resources available to help you in your spiritual walk.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Psalm 3:1-8

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

O Lord, how my adversaries have increased!
Many are rising up against me.

[2] Many are saying of my soul, "There is no deliverance for him in God."

Selah.

[3] But Thou, O Lord, art a shield about me,
My glory, and the One who lifts my head.

[4] I was crying to the Lord with my voice,
And He answered me from His holy mountain.

Selah.

[5] I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the Lord sustains me.

[6] I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me round about.

[7] Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God!
For Thou hast smitten all my enemies on the cheek;
Thou hast shattered the teeth of the wicked.

[8] Salvation belongs to the Lord;
Thy blessing be upon Thy people!

Selah.


Psalm 3 - Psalm 3:1-8

Open It

1. In what circumstances do you feel safe and secure?
2. What often threatens our sense of security?
* 3. What measures do people commonly take to protect themselves?

Explore It

* 4. What predicament prompted David to write this poem? (3:1-2)
5. How were David’s enemies intimidating him? (3:2)
6. Where did David get his hope? (3:3)
7. What image did David use to describe God’s protection? (3:3)
* 8. How did the Lord show His love for David? (3:3)
9. What is God like? (3:3)
10. How did David deal with his fears? (3:4)
11. How did God respond to David’s cries for help? (3:4)
12. How did David demonstrate his faith in God’s protection? (3:5)
13. Whom did David credit for his sense of security when he was surrounded by enemies? (3:5)
* 14. To what extent was David willing to trust the Lord? (3:6)
15. What action did David ask the Lord to take on his behalf? (3:7)
16. What expression of confidence concludes David’s prayer? (3:8)
17. What did David ask God to do? (3:8)

Get It

18. When have you ever felt you were in a hopeless situation?
19. How have you experienced God’s protection?
* 20. What does this psalm teach us about God’s protection of His loved ones?
21. What should we do when we feel intimidated by others or overwhelmed by our problems?
* 22. How can you follow David’s example in dealing with your own fears?
23. What action do you need the Lord to take on your behalf?
24. What expression of confidence can you offer in prayer to the Lord?

Apply It

* 25. What step can you take to entrust God with one of your fears?
26. How can you show your thankfulness to the Lord for His protection over you?


AFFIRMATIONS

TODAY I AM:

Having God surrounding me like a shield.

Having God as my glory and the lifter of my head.

Having God answer my prayers from His holy hill.

Laying down and sleeping.

Awakening because He has sustained me.

Not being fearful of a multitude of people surrounding me.

Experiencing His blessing on me.