Making resources available to help you in your spiritual walk.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Psalm 39:1-13
For the choir director, for Jeduthun.
A Psalm of David
.

I said, "I will guard my ways,
That I may not sin with my tongue;
I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle,
While the wicked are in my presence."

[2] I was dumb and silent,
I refrained even from good;
And my sorrow grew worse.

[3] My heart was hot within me;
While I was musing the fire burned;
Then I spoke with my tongue:

[4] "Lord, make me to know my end,
And what is the extent of my days,
Let me know how transient I am.

[5] "Behold, Thou hast made my days as handbreadths,
And my lifetime as nothing in Thy sight,
Surely every man at his best is a mere breath.

Selah.

[6] "Surely every man walks about as a phantom;
Surely they make an uproar for nothing;
He amasses riches, and does not know who will gather them.

[7] "And now, Lord, for what do I wait?
My hope is in Thee.

[8] "Deliver me from all my transgressions;
Make me not the reproach of the foolish.

[9] "I have become dumb, I do not open my mouth,
Because it is Thou who hast done it.

[10] "Remove Thy plague from me;
Because of the opposition of Thy hand, I am perishing.

[11] "With reproofs Thou dost chasten a man for iniquity;
Thou dost consume as a moth what is precious to him;
Surely every man is a mere breath.
Selah.

[12] "Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;
Do not be silent at my tears;
For I am a stranger with Thee,
A sojourner like all my fathers.

[13] "Turn Thy gaze away from me, that I may smile again,
Before I depart and am no more."


Psalm 39

Open It


* 1. What is one thing you want to do before you die?
2. For what reasons do we keep secrets?
3. When have you ever accidently revealed a secret, and what happened?


Explore It


4. What was David determined to do but failed to do? (39:1-3)
5. Why could David no longer suppress his despair? (39:1-3)
6. Why had David determined not to speak of his anguish? (39:1-3, 9)
7. What central prayer request unifies this psalm? (39:1-13)
* 8. What motivated David to write this poem? (39:1-13)
9. What effect did David’s attempt to suppress his anguish have on him? (39:2-3)
10. What did David want to know about his own future? (39:4)
11. What did David ask God to do? (39:4)
* 12. What had David learned about the brevity of life? (39:4-6)
13. What prayer did David offer to the Lord? (39:4-6)
14. What attitude did David have about himself in relation to the Lord? (39:4-6, 12)
15. In whom did David place his only hope? (39:7)
* 16. What simple request did David present before the Lord? (39:7-11)
17. What did David expect to happen if the Lord did not deliver him? (39:8)
18. What did David believe was the reason for his illness? (39:9)
19. How did David feel about the Lord’s hand in his life? (39:10)
20. According to David, why does God rebuke people? (39:11)
21. What is one way the Lord chooses to discipline people? (39:11)
22. How did David demonstrate his humility in this prayer? (39:12-13)


Get It


23. When is it good to keep secrets? When is it bad?
24. What does David’s determination to guard against speaking rebellious words in the hearing of his enemies reveal about his character?
25. How should we speak about God or one another in the presence of unbelievers?
26. How do you think you could change your attitude or behavior to insure you always honor the reputation of the Lord and other believers?
27. What can we learn about humility from David’s example in this psalm?
28. How can you cultivate the spirit of humility in your life?
* 29. Why do people procrastinate?
* 30. What important goals have you put off too long?
31. When have you vented your emotions to the Lord in prayer, and how did it make you feel?
32. When have you felt chastised by the Lord?
33. Why do you think God chooses to discipline us?
34. How should we respond to feelings of guilt?
35. What has recently caused you to feel guilty?


Apply It


36. What could you do this week to honor the name of the Lord in what you do or say at work? at home?
* 37. What first step could you take toward an important goal or priority this week?
38. How do you want to pray the next time you feel guilty or abandoned by God?

AFFIRMATIONS

TODAY I AM:

Taking heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue.

Keeping my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.

Made known my end, and the measure of my days, what it is.

Made know how frail I am.

Having my hope in the Lord.

Delivered from all my transgressions.

Not the reproach of the foolish.

Heard of the Lord.

Spared, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.