Making resources available to help you in your spiritual walk.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Psalm 13:1-6

For the choir director.
A Psalm of David.


How long, O Lord? Wilt Thou forget me forever?
How long wilt Thou hide Thy face from me?
[2] How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?

[3] Consider and answer me, O Lord, my God;
Enlighten my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
[4] Lest my enemy say, "I have overcome him,"
Lest my adversaries rejoice when I am shaken.

[5] But I have trusted in Thy lovingkindness;
My heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation.
[6] I will sing to the Lord,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me.


Psalm 13 - Psalm 13:1-6

Open It

1. What emotions do you feel when you are sick at home?
2. What techniques do you use to combat discouragement when you are sick?
* 3. In what ways have your friends or family helped you through a time of illness or discouragement?

Explore It

* 4. What questions went through David’s mind as he waited for the Lord’s answer to his prayer? (13:1-2)
5. Why did David cry out to the Lord? (13:1-6)
6. Why did David question the Lord in this prayer? (13:1-6)
* 7. What emotions did David reveal in this psalm? (13:1-6)
8. What did David ask God to do? (13:3)
9. For what reason did David want the Lord to save him? (13:4)
10. What impact did David think his death would have on his enemies? (13:4)
11. What two character traits of the Lord’s encouraged David in his despair? (13:5)
12. How did David’s illness affect his relationship with God? (13:5-6)
13. How did David’s emotions change when he reminded himself of God’s character? (13:5-6)
14. What expression of confidence concludes this poem? (13:5-6)
* 15. How did David’s memory of the past change his perspective on the present? (13:6)

Get It

16. When have you ever questioned the Lord?
17. What role should honesty play in our prayers to the Lord?
18. What negative emotions do you struggle with when you find yourself in a difficult situation?
19. How do your emotions change when you remind yourself of God’s character and what He has done for you in the past?
20. How does your memory of the past change your perspective on the present and future?
* 21. In what specific ways do you think we should follow David’s example of questioning God about difficult circumstances?
22. How do difficult circumstances in your life usually affect your relationship with the Lord?
* 23. How should life’s challenges impact our Christian walk?

Apply It

24. What is one step you can take this week to protect yourself from doubt and discouragement?
* 25. What past acts of God’s goodness to you can you write down as reminders to trust Him today?

AFFIRMATIONS
TODAY I AM

Trusting in God’s mercy.
Rejoicing in God’s salvation.
Singing unto the LORD for He has dealt bountifully with me.